Tuesday 23 January 2018

The Little Cafe in Copenhagen by Julie Caplin


The Little Cafe in Copenhagen
Julie Caplin
Rating: 5 stars
Amazon UK (K £2.99 / P £7.99)

Welcome to the little cafe in Copenhagen where the smell of cinnamon fills the air, the hot chocolate is as smooth as silk and romance is just around the corner...

Publicist Kate Sinclair's life in London is everything she thought she wanted: success, glamour and a charming boyfriend. Until that boyfriend goes behind her back and snatches a much sought-after promotion from her. Heartbroken and questioning everything, Kate needs to escape.

From candles and cosy nights in to romantic late-night walks through the beautiful cobbled streets of Copenhagen, Kate discovers how to live life 'the Danish way'. Can the secrets of hygge and happiness lead her to her own happily-ever-after?

-----------------------------

I honestly cannot tell you in words how much I loved this book. Much like hygge, it's more about the feels - and this book gave me plenty of them! I must admit that this novel has made me push Copenhagen up my list of places I want to travel to and now I'm pining to go there.

It has to be said that the first thing that usually makes me want to read a book is the cover, and this cover certainly doesn't disappoint. I LOVE it. It's so, so beautiful. Whoever designed it - kudos to you! I adore the style of font, the bright colours brightening the cover, the cute town houses in the background, the flowers, the cute little table and chairs - literally everything I love!

The storyline is exactly the same, I immediately loved it from the start and found myself struggling to put it down! I really loved the character of Katie and immediately found myself relating to her. Not so much from a work view, but from a family view. It must be so tough basically being the bread winner of a big family (especially a family that expects you to work hard in order to help out) and I really felt for Katie when she explained how much work she actually put in just to help her family out. I related to Katie in other ways too and just loved her overall character - she came across as friendly and caring.

I just found the whole book really interesting and charming. I really loved Eva, and how I wish there was a cafe like that actually in London! It sounded so welcoming and cosy. And don't even get me started on how good the pastries sounded!! My mouth was watering as I read and I honestly cannot explain how much I want to go to Copenhagen just to try their pastries now!! Even reading about the coffees was making me want to visit!

In the story, Katie is assigned a task to take five journalists out to Copenhagen to get a good feel of Denmark, the happiest country in the world and to see how hygge is presented in their country. I  found myself becoming really rather jealous of the journalists that attended the trip to Copenhagen, and would love to see and do all the things they did in the book! I started warming to all of the characters when I got to know them all throughout the story and especially loved Fiona and Sophie - both girls seemed so lovely.

Of course, as with Chick Lit novels, there was romance involved. I kinda saw it coming, but I loved it anyway. As the trip went on, I really hoped that Ben and Katie would get together. And was shocked when Josh turned up! Throughout the story a lot of unfortunate events take place (much to Katie's horror) and this makes it for a great and entertaining read. There's also some humour throughout, so the book was easy to read and just really, really enjoyable.

Overall, I absolutely loved it (if you haven't already guessed by now) and I literally cannot wait for the next one to come out! I really enjoyed reading my first novel by Julie Caplin and so excited to read more by her in the future. Thank you to Netgalley and to the publisher for a chance to read this novel, which I have reviewed honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment